We will bring you safely and comfortably to this outstanding fishing destination. But then it’s up to your ability, experience, skills… and choosing the right gear and lures to get your fish.
You will need to purchase a Mexican fishing license before your trip. You can purchase fishing licenses here: Mexican fishing licenses instructions.
We have FREE Seeker Rods for our clients! Use our rods, save on weight. Bring your own reels, or rent ours for $10/day.
From some of our most experienced guests, here is a list of gear recommended to bring in the fish at Cedros. You can also check out our fishing reports for up-to-date info on what’s hot.
From Mike Ryba of REEBS LURES
If you’re going to be targeting Bass, Grouper, Sheephead, or Halibut on your Cedros fishing trip there are some recommendations of gear and lures to use.
- 35 6″ swimbaits
- 6 1oz and 1.5oz swimbait heads
- 20 6″ weedless baits (for fishing the kelp on the surface)
- 6 Owner weedless 9/0 hooks (Owner Beast Hooks)
- 3 Kelp Sassin weedless jigs (for fishing the thick kelp and reef structure)
- 3 Saltwater grade spinnerbaits
*Double these amounts for longer trips.
From Esvin Hernandez / Pro
(for more details about gear for fishing Cedros Island, contact Esvin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 40-60LB Test / 6.5-8FT Rod. My personal gear is Phenix 760H. Super Seeker 6480 and United composite 80
- Long rods are not needed on a panga as you need to highstick to get to gaff
- REELS: I fish a Penn Fathom 25N star drag, Penn Fathom 25N 2 speed and Saltiga 30T.
ALL LOADED WITH SPECTRA AND SHORT 3-6ft SOFT STEEL LEADER.
- SALAS :7X,6X,JPOT Mint and white, Sardine, Blue and white, Birdshit, and Scrambled Egg
- TADY : 45, C Mint and white, Sardine, Blue and White, Birdshit, Scrambled Egg.
- SALAS: CP105, 6XJR, 7XJR,7X
- TADY: 9, 4/0, A2 Mint and white, Sardine, Blue and white, Birdshit, Scrambled egg.
Note: To save weight, 8 surface irons and yo-yo jigs is plenty. Leave the Sabiki Rigs at home since most of the captains have them on the pangas now .
- Blue and green Sardine patterns in 150-300 grams
- 50-65LB Spectra / Heavy 40LB+ Leader ( I Prefer 12” Leader)
- 5-8” Swimbaits / Weedless heads
- **Fish heavy on the bass. My largest yellow was caught fishing for calico in the kelp (52 lbs)
- I fish a 8 ft custom swimbait rod /Revo Toro, 65 Lb Spectra. I prefer Reebs Lures and Pearl Swimbaits.
Don’t forget to pack a Danilo rig for making bait . A pack of 5/0 hooks is all you need and maybe 3-4 sinkers 3/4-1 oz. Bring sunblock and enjoy!
From Taylor Pantel
If I had to narrow it down to 25-35 lbs of gear, here is what I’m going to bring next year:
- RODS: (3) 7′ rods. (1) 40# rod, (1) 50# rod, (1) 60# rod. (1) 8′ Heavy bass rod. 65lb spectra.
- I recommend fishing exclusively spectra with a short 3′ top shot of Flourocarbon, 50 or 60 lb. High speed reels for fishing the yoyo iron and surface iron are a must if you really want to maximize your opportunities.
- JIGS: Salas7x heavys are the jig of choice at Cedros. Blue and white, scrambled egg, all white. Those are the best 3 colors.
- You also want to have some salas7x lights as well in the same colors in case the fish are on the surface. I switch out all my treble hooks on all my jigs to big 10/0 or 11/0 single hooks so those big Cedros yellows cannot pull loose!!! I would bring 3 of each color in the light and the heavy.
- Don’t forget to bring an assortment of 5-8″ Pearl swimbaits. Colors of choice would be browns, reds, greens, blues,
- Bring leadheads from 3/4-2oz.
- Bring 2 pairs of polarized sunglasses. A sun hat. All clothing on pangas should be waterproof, fast drying fabric so you stay dry and comfortable.
- RODS. 40#,50#,60#
- JIGS. ***salas7x heavy .colors blue and white, scrambled egg, all white.
- ***salas7x light. colors. same as above
- ***swimbaits for bass and yellows. Pearl Swimbaits. Any colors really they all work.
- ***High speed reels.
- ***flex wrap for line cuts
- Advil or ibuprofin for those sore muscles after pulling on fish all day.